“Stock plans” are building plans that you can order from a magazine, catalog or website. Some builders offer pre-made plans. Although it is not custom designed for you, homes built on these types of plans can be beautiful and attractive.
However, given the time and cost of making a home (which is a custom procedure by nature) many will never consider anything but custom plans designed specifically for them or for themselves. However, stock plans can certainly be attractive and worthwhile.
Here are some of the Benefits and Cons of buying stock house plans:
- Stock plans are less expensive. The cost of a set of plans can be a thousand – or less. Plans are listed as a menu and plan prices are clearly posted. Once you decide on a plan it is an easy process to click and buy. Choosing graphic style and size.
- Stock plans can save time in choosing a home. Because the design is made and available for viewing, if you choose quickly you can save time. Usually the plans are shown as floor plans with the outside view. Depending on the catalog you can just get a preview, and sometimes look at a few ideas to help you understand the design. It’s a mail order solution. Post-order items have been a part of our culture for a long time – from post-order cards, to email accounts at Sears.
- These defined plans are always grouped into a range of different perspectives. This can be a great motivator as you look at the plans and ideas. You will get “new” ideas that you may not have considered before.
- Cataloging plans are likely to outlive your thinking. They can get creative juices flowing. Stock plans can be a great place to start to get new ideas.
- The stock plans are rarely eligible for approval. If permits are submitted without additional applications they will be allowed.
- Engineer Getting a professional stamp is not as easy as it sounds. Most experts will need to draw new or, as a minimum, more updates and extensions to bring the plans to Home Codes and are worth their sealing. Fees for this can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars and will take many weeks to process depending on the project and the expert & # 39; s of time.
- Some updates are unavoidable. Because plans are not designed for you, you rarely see the changes you need to make. This can be very expensive because most stock planning companies are not focused.
- Stock plans are reused for plans that have been created many times before. For some, this can be a bit awkward.
- Plans from the internet or catalog are designed to appeal to the masses such as cars and other consumer goods. This is useful for factory products because they keep prices low. But since building homes is always a tradition, some view a home designed to advertise a large market as a waste of time. It would be customary to build a car and end with a Ford Taurus. What’s this & # 39; s?
- The stock plans are designed to be built in multiple locations. Geographical areas have low latitudes, snow, storms, cool temperatures, warm temperatures, and other unique features in each region. Certain types of building processes are common in certain areas – and standard type plans can & # 39; t be able to cover everything possible. In addition, local sellers will see the Stock Home and will mark them as such – not always.
Plans assigned to the home builder, however, may stand in the way of these problems. Usually they will be ready for permits, will be accepted locally and, if the builder has made changes, these can be very costly.
In summary, stock plans are important for learning and education and are a rich source of ideas. However, they will come out as inexpensive as you first thought, or quickly, and they certainly will not be something that is made just for you.
Having a professional partner working with you to develop custom designs based on your ideas, ideas, and various ideas you have gathered from numerous sources, and his or her own expertise will allow you to take full advantage of the true custom of building a home.
Remember, home-building is the only business that remains traditionally – design should be.